Sunday, June 15, 2008

My Cup Runneth Over

Last night was my friends hosted a scleroderma benefit in my honor. We had about 35 people there and so far the event has raised over $4,750, which both impresses and humbles me. Many thanks to those of you who donated.

I wanted to share what I said at the event last night. I didn't say very much because I knew I would cry. But this is what I did say ...

"Last year I ended my speech by saying that I had survived my disease thus far because of Bill. The last year has been the most difficult year of my life. At a time in my life when my cup seems to have so many holes in it, people just keep coming forward and pouring and pouring to fill it back up. Bill, the kids, and I have survived this year because of all of you. And I keep going because of you. 'Thank you' doesn't seem like enough but I mean it from the bottom of my heart."

When Bill took the opportunity to speak he said, "It takes a village ... And I am glad to be a part of this village."

Ours lives are filled with so many hard decisions these days. The emotional weight of it all is finally wearing us down, but we can keep putting one foot in front of the other because we are surrounded by such loving friends and family.

I don't know what I ever did to be worthy of such an outpouring of affection but it sustains me.

Thank you.

No comments: